Thursday, February 2, 2012

A New Year.......A Little Late!

I started this post in January but then stopped to continue to think about it.  We've been busy as well, but I wanted to post it so here it is...better late then never!

Last year at the beginning of the year I was challenged by K-love to choose one word to focus on for the year instead of making New Year Resolutions. The word I chose was surrender. I was excited to see what God was going to do and ashamedly admit I was surprised to see all that He did do. I wasn't sure if my word would get me to the end of the year, but it got me there and then some. I could probably spend this whole year focusing on surrender too, but I feel a tug in a new direction.

As I look back on the past year, I cannot believe the work that God has done, in my heart and in my husband's heart. I think we both grew more in our relationships with Jesus then we ever have before. He pushed us beyond ourselves further then we thought possible. Our desire to start our family was beginning to define us. It was all we thought about, our focus. At the beginning of last year God slowly began to change that. At the end of April when we lost the last baby we were given the peace of God like we'd never experienced before and I new beyond a shadow of a doubt that life was going to continue to change.

As I prayed and thought about the word for this new year the word intentional kept coming to mind. I wanted whatever came after surrender, the next step to keep moving forward. I was afraid it may be a little broad, but then we were sitting in church the next Sunday and Pastor David started talking about being intentional. Justin elbowed me and grinned. I had my word!

Justin and I both read many books last year and some more this year that are challenging us in our walk with Jesus. Challenging us to be doers of the word and not just hearers only. I want to be intentional with everything I have learned, to apply it, to use it, and to make a difference with it. I want to be intentional in my marriage to cultivate it and grow even closer to Justin. And most importantly I want to be intentional in my relationship with Jesus. I don't want to go back to where I was before. I want to continue pushing ahead no matter how hard it gets or how "bad" things seem. I have found that my "bad" is one of God's special blessings in my life that draws me to Him and propels me forward in my relationship with Him.

Because I started this post in January and am finishing it in February, I am already seeing God's hand at work. A friend and I have some ministry ideas and opportunities in the works to get out and serve, to put into practice what we are studying. Justin and I also started an awesome study on marriage together. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for us this year! He is so faithful and we are just so excited to serve Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment