Thursday, July 14, 2011

Never Say Never

When I was younger I used to dread this time of year.  My Mom would make me go outside to weed, water, and help in the garden.  She made me pick beans...can you believe it!?!  And not only did I have to pick them, but then we would go inside to cut the ends, clean, and can them.  I was such a mistreated child, let me tell ya!;)  While I was slaving away I decided that I would NOT grow green beans in my garden.  They just couldn't be that expensive, I would just buy them. 

Guess what we grew in our garden the last two years....GREEN BEANS!!  Last year they did not do well at all and we just ate what grew.  This year they have done much better and I started canning them. (and we are planning on planting more in a fall garden)  It's amusing to me that now that it is MY garden with MY weeds and MY produce, it's a totally different story.  I kind of enjoy picking green beans.  There's a weird satisfaction knowing that this is something we grew, took care of, and put up to enjoy throughout the winter.  

Here are a few jars ready for water and lids 
A canner full 
20 minutes with the pressure holding at 11 pounds 
We have seven more pints!
I have only canned 14 pints so far.  I am curious to see how much these plants continue to produce. 

I have to add that I'm so glad my Mom "mistreated" me and made me help out.  Canning green beans isn't that big of a deal now because I remember how she did it and it was reinforced year after year.  Thanks Mom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment