Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Dad

January 14th my dad turned 60. We had a little party for him last weekend. He knew all of us kids were coming home, but he didn't know that we were going to have Sunday dinner at Chad and Cassondra's and that the extended family would be there.
The birthday boy :)
We had a few decorations

He got some tools, Globetrotters tickets, and some fun "Over the Hill" items.
The ladies washed up the dishes
while the fellas chatted.

After the dishes were done the ladies joined the guys and we played a couple games of Catch Phrase.

We had a wonderful afternoon together.

Dad's are pretty special people....especially mine! He has been a true example of what a Christian husband and father looks like. I remember almost every Sunday after we finished dinner he would tell me to go get my Sunday school papers. I could climb up in his lap in the recliner and we would go over everything I had learned. He would fall asleep for the standard Sunday afternoon nap and I would either take a nap with him, or sneak off to my room to play.

He taught us what unconditional love looked like (even when James Dobson was writing his book "The Strong-Willed Child" about me). No matter how much I tested his patience, I knew he loved me.

My dad (and my mom) would go to the end of the earth for us kids. We always came first when we were young. Now that we are all grown and gone they still make us a priority. Helping out whenever we need a hand; no complaining, no "we're too busy", just a "we'll be there as soon as we can" and a quiet helping hand.

Dad taught us the importance of reading the Word. He is constantly studying and reading his Bible and because of it has a wealth of understanding that few people have. I remember on rainy Saturdays, when he couldn't go outside, I'd always find him in his office with his Bible open. I hope someday I have the knowledge and heart changing understanding of the Word of God that my dad has.

Now I can tell you that if and when he reads this he'll humbly shake his head and say that I was too kind and that he made many mistakes. He did make mistakes, we all do (I'm fairly certain I received a couple of unjust spankings;) ), but he taught us, by example, to admit it, change our behavior and move on.

Thank you Dad (and Mom) for living your life with God first and setting such an amazing example for us kids to follow! Happy Birthday and I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment