Monday, January 10, 2011

Busy-Day Dinner; Golden Clam Chowder

As I was planning out our menu for the next two weeks, Justin decided that clam chowder sounded good. The restaurant I worked at in Omaha served it and although it was very good, it had an unpleasant smell. I wasn't too sure I wanted it smelling up my kitchen, but I decided we'd give it a try.
We were both pleasantly surprised so I thought I'd share the recipe in case anyone is brave enough to try it.
2 celery ribs
2 medium carrots
1 medium onion
2 tsp. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cans (6-1/2 oz. each) minced clams, undrained
1 bottle (8 oz.) clam juice
1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. water, divided
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 can (12oz.) evaporated milk
2 tsp. cornstarch
2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
Finely chop the celery, carrots and onion. In a Dutch oven, saute vegetables in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in potatoes, clams, clam juice, 1 cup water, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Gradually stir in milk; heat through. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into chowder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon.
Recipe from Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment