Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Taste of Home Tuesday: Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

I enjoy the challenge of trying to make homemade versions of foods that people purchase everyday.  The most recent thing we have tried is granola bars.  The recipe I am posting today is the one we like best so far.  It makes a chewier bar which we prefer.  The neat thing that I have found with granola bars is I can add whatever "extras" I want.  Justin and I aren't too fond of coconut so, instead of using the coconut, I ground peanuts and almonds and substituted them in.  I really like the chocolate chips and I've also added craisins, raisins, and dates.  I like to put them all in the same bars.  I enjoy the different textures and flavors it gives the bars.  Justin prefers fewer "extras".  I love taking the same basic recipe and adding whatever I want.  Enjoy!!
 
Ingredients
4 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips*
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
4. Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and stir to combine.
5. Place granola mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet and shape into a rectangle, about 13 x 9 x 1 inch thick.
6. Bake for 40 minutes.
7. Allow to cool completely then cut into 3 x 1 inch bars.**

* You can substitute raisins or other dried fruit for the chocolate chips.
** Individually wrapped, the bars will remain fresh for several weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment