Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Food for Thought

“[Anything you have...] It is due to the century and place in which you were born, to your talents and capacities and health, none of which you earned.

In short, all your resources are in the end — the gift of God.”  Tim Keller

What are we doing with our resources?  The resources God has blessed us with?  Ann Voskamp and her son recently traveled to Haiti and she posted this since being back. 

After reading what she wrote my heart is broken as I sit here in my cool air conditioned home.  There's a soft bed waiting for me in the bedroom.  Two couches instead of one.  Cupboards over flowing with food.  Three vehicles in the yard.  A TV hanging on the wall downstairs.

Am I going without to help my brothers and sisters in Christ who are in need or am I making sure that I'm comfortable and just giving them the leftovers?   Sure we give to several organizations that help the needy, but could I be doing more?  The Bible says to

"Love your neighbor as yourself"

Do I love my brothers and sisters in Christ as much as I love myself?  Am I as concerned with their needs and comfort as much as I am my own?  I've heard it said before and even said it myself, "Well there has to be a balance."  Does there or is that an excuse I use because I don't quite trust God enough to provide for my every need?  I don't know ... food for thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment