Thursday, December 12, 2013

Taste of Our Home Tuesday: Pretzel Toffee Candy

I love English Toffee and had to try this recipe as soon as I saw it.  It is so yummy and perfect for the Christmas season!  I made a similar recipe before this one (it was exactly the same just without the pretzels) and I didn't cook the butter and sugar long enough.  I ended up with chewy toffee that was slightly grainy.  When I made this recipe I set the timer so I was sure to cook it for the full time.  It turned out perfectly and was delicious!  
Pretzel-Toffee
Ingredients 
1 cup butter 
1 cup sugar 
2 cups pretzels (approximately) 
1 cup dark chocolate chips 

Instructions 
In a heavy saucepan, melt butter. Add sugar, and stir to dissolve. Continue cooking and stirring until it is the color of a brown paper bag, about 7-10 minutes. (The mixture may separate and look clumped or curdled, and this is fine. The color is a more important indicator than the texture.) 
Prepare a sheet pan (I recommend a quarter sheet pan) by lining with parchment paper or a silicone liner, or by generously buttering. 
Cover pan in a single layer of pretzels. Pour cooked candy onto pretzels as soon as it reaches the desired color. 
Immediately top with chocolate chips. Let chips melt for a few minutes, then use a knife to spread like frosting. Let candy cool by chilling in fridge for about an hour. Use a large knife to break into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.

The original recipe came from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment